Sunday 10 June 2012

Book Review - Gideon Defoe

I read a lot of books, often posting a picture of my latest indulgence here, but never following through on recommendations or warnings.

So I've decided to write little reviews as and when I finish a book, so here we go!

My latest FB (Finished Book):

Pirates In An Adventure With Scientists, Gideon Defoe.

This was the first book read from my local libraries 'Recommends' section.

It was a very quick read being an incredibly small, square book with only 160 pages to its name but it was easy-going and fun. It was like reading Blackadder Goes To Sea!

Set in Victorian England the book sees a motley Crüe of pirates wrongly cannonball The Beagle, befriend Charles Darwin and Mister Bobo and help solve a mystery and free a captive.

It's really very clever with references to the periodic table during a duel (complete with disclaimer that it's not yet been invented) and footnotes both educational and ridiculous. I'm a geek, I love that sort of intelligent silliness so this was right up my street! And with gags like "some of the crew are more chairs than pirates these days" when referring to amputees the book kept me smiling to the very end.

So there you have it, a funny little book worthy of a quick read with nothing macabre or haunting in it's content just good old-fashioned fun and frolics. I also think it'd make a great gift for that man/teenager in your life whose a little difficult to buy for, which male do you know that doesn't still enjoy secret agents, cowboys or pirates? I already have a recipient in mind and will look into the rest of the series and possibly take a look at the film adaptation too.

What are you reading? With a birthday coming up I have a few more books in mind and have already had this beautiful looking book drop onto the doormat. I will post a review as app as I have savoured each and every page!

Speak soon xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment